Thursday 30 December 2010

Lower wishbone bodge (Hyper 12 Mini ST)

Last time I took the Hyper 12 out I finished up the session with it handling 'a bit odd'. Closer inspection showed a broken lower front wishbone, a common occurrence!
As sods law dictates of all my spares I didn't have the one I needed so after getting a pair of replacements ordered and sulking a bit I decided to have a go at bodging it back together.

When trying to get the old one off I hit my first snag. After multiple collisions with solid object the front hex screw was well and truly mangled!
After a minute or so with the Dremel I managed to cut in a crude slot so that it could be removed with a flat bladed screw driver.
Second problem... a bent hinge pin and again no spare. This time I found a spare length of 3mm steel shaft and simply cut it to the correct length. Quick, simple and about 1/100th of the cost of replacement hinge pins. I certainly won't be buying them from the model shop again! Old and new are shown below. They are the same length believe it or not!
On to the matter in hand, fixing the wishbone.

As the car had been left in this state for several months the plastics had been pulled out of shape and I ended up having to fill the gap with superglue!
Definitely function over form and only a temporary fix at best.

Finally, on my last run the exhaust mount went walkies so a new one of those was required!
 All fixed, it was now time for a run!

No comments:

Post a Comment