Monday 8 August 2011

Another project... I'm actually going to complete this one!

Well after deciding that my Touring/Drifter hybrid wasn't the best of ideas I got rid of the TC3 and decided to concentrate on that niggling idea of another FWD car.

I wanted the same layout as my Tamiya FF-01 (motor mounted in front of the front wheels) as I knew this made the thing handle like a dream. This left me with two options, a brand new FF-03 or hunt out a used FF-01 like I used to have.

I really can't afford a new FF-03 so when a MSUK forum member mentioned that they might have an FF-01 for sale I bit their hand off! The car is a rolling chassis, just needs rear body mounts which I know I can buy and a battery clip which I will attempt to make if I can't track one down! Here she is (photos from the seller)
I kept saying how I regretted giving away my old FF-01. Well now I'm not so sure it was a bad idea as this is a much tidier chassis to use as a base.

Plan is to get the radio gear and brushless ESC and motor in there. Then get the battery clip made, everything else will have to wait until I release a few quid out of my RS4 parts which are failing to shift on MSUK. I might just have to bite the bullet and get them on ebay to see the back of them.

As for a shell... I'm not sure yet! All I do know is that it will have LED's and this time round I'm going to try a connection between the body posts and the body itself to get power to them. Not sure if this will work or not but it will be good if I can do it as I will be able to mount the batteries for the LED's on the chassis.

Finally... what about the drifter idea? Well, I will come back to it but from a different angle. How does a tail happy Rally/Drifter hybrid with a D-Box (or in my case a cheap piezo gyro!) sound? Lets get this one finished first anyhow ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment