Thursday 21 July 2011

3... no, make that 2 wheels on my wagon!

So I thought I'd treat myself to a little bash at the park and ride this evening.

It was an off the cuff decision to go so I didn't have the Slash's batteries charged (starting to remember what I didn't like about electric!) so I took the recently fettled RS4 and the Hyper 12.

Firstly I wanted to try out the RS4 now that it had the new diff and it drove... exactly the bloody same! Pulled left under throttle dived right when I backed off... AAAARGH! I decided to give it an early bath and went to have a go with the Hyper 12.

I saw that it had half a tank and this got alarm bells ringing. I had changed that knackered steering servo hadn't I?  Well, no it turned out that I hadn't. Doh!

So... back to the RS4 then! The rally conversion has shifted the body posts slightly and the fronts are now very wobbly and after two frustrating failed attempts to get the body on with the thing getting impatient and stalling I decided to run it without the body. Crap handling aside this thing is FAST! Way too quick for its new rally life so I'd have to look at the gearing at some point. It was very tricky to control with even travelling in a straight line requiring steering input as you went on and off the throttle. Eventually the inevitable happened and I hit the only car in the car parks tyre. Doh (again)

This resulted in even more strange handling followed a few seconds later by the rear wheel falling off! I was limping it back to me and I found that the handling actually seemed to be more predictable with three wheels and being a basher at heart I decided to blat around on three wheels until the fuel ran out!

Coming towards the end of the tank I was doing a burnout when the front wheel and hub went flying off into the hedge! I couldn't believe it! Seconds later the engine died as the last of the fuel was slurped up and I packed up for home.

Here is the damage-

As you can see the rear has sheared off and the front... well god knows what happened at the front!

So obviously I'll be getting it back on the road right? Well... I'm not sure I will.

I enjoyed the process of putting the rally conversion together but the car has never been right since I got it, it will always have the flimsy (relative to a rally model) RS4 underpinnings, it needs a new single speed gearing set up to suit the rally nature and the engine is a bit temperamental. All in all I'm tempted to see the back of it.

What would I replace it with? Well, probably the car I was going to buy instead of the RS4 in the first place... The Kyosho DRX. It seems to tick every box straight out of the box. I'll sleep on it (I need to save up for a DRX anyway) but I feel that the RS4 might be making its way onto ebay in bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment