Tuesday 29 March 2011

Hyper 12 - Antenna wire replacement

After taking on the BMX track and skate park on Saturday I was surprised to come away with nothing more than a badly cracked (but still intact) rear wing mount and the thing that stopped me mid run, a broken antenna wire.

This is the second time that this has happened to the truck and is caused by a poor design on the radio box which causes it to get pinched and eventually wear through.

Replacing it is pretty simple though, certainly more simple than trying to sort the design of the radio box!

First up I had to get the Rx out.
The standard Rx on the hyper 12 is a rather basic item that thankfully has a simple flip up lid design allowing easy access.
You can see the remainder of the wire. Possibly long enough for 2.4GHz but not for this radio system!

I recovered the original wire and stripped the end back by about 5mm. Despite being shortened a couple of times it is still plenty long enough!

I heated the solder on the remaining bit of wire up and removed it. While keeping the solder liquid I then slipped the stripped end of the longer section in place. All back in one piece...
My antenna tube also ended up in three pieces so after threading a new one over the wire it was time to put it back together.
I did widen the grove where the wire comes through in an attempt to stop it breaking again but I won't hold my breath. At some point I might be tempted to swap in one of the cheap 2.4GHz systems which would do away with needing an exposed antenna at all. For now though this will do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment