Tuesday 22 March 2011

RS4 Rally Conversion: Build Session 5

Not exactly a case of one step forwards two steps back tonight, more like seven steps forward six steps back! What am I going on about? Well... it turns out that the front shock tower that I took a while to identify was in fact the rear shock tower! This wasn't apparent until I had fitted the rear (front) shock tower and tried to add the rear body mount which obviously there were no holes to do so!

Oh well, this type of thing is always going to happen on a project like this because I haven't got any instructions to follow!

Anyway I removed the front (rear) tower and swapped them round... and here was mistake number two! There was no way to access the holes for the rear body mount struts once it was fitted. So, off it came again!

Here it is in place...
You probably can't see it from that photo but the struts are like /  \ ... yup mistake number three of the night, I'd used the wrong holes to mount them! I thought they were a bit of a stretch and even modified the mounting points to make them fit better! So off with the shock mount AGAIN!

When re-fitting everything I decided to swap over the rear springs. Even with a daft amount of spacers the rear was too saggy. Here it is back in place.
Even with the new springs it still needed the two largest spacers that came with the new shocks but less than the front. Maybe I'll swap the front springs over at some point.

Final job was to attach the body mount cross plate...
It is taking shape nicely. I now need to pull my finger out and get my front body mount designed and made.

No comments:

Post a Comment