Monday 28 March 2011

RS4 Rally Conversion: Final Build Session

Having had another look at the front body / bumper mount I realised that there was no need for the posts at all. The kick up of the front lip gave enough height without the need for the posts to be in place so I could press on without having to make a new part up. I may still make another in the future but I'm getting the urge for a new project of the front wheel drive on road nature so I wanted to get this one done and dusted... for now at least!

Here is the part as it came off the car...
It was time to crack out the Dremel and get rid of those posts.
Posts gone it was time to mark out where the holes would need to go.
Then after drilling...
Yes I did drill them on the wonk but luckily it isn't as bad as the photo makes it look.

After attaching the body posts the whole assembly was screwed onto the car.
The body posts were way too high so I had to remove the outer parts and cut the posts down quite a bit.

All that was left to do was slide on the bumper foam, I also decided to swap the springs (that caused so much hassle and delay!) back to the original black springs that came with the shocks. This meant I could run less spacers and also gave better rebound on the front.
And it is done! I'm sure I'll have another fiddle with it at some point as there are a few bits I'm not completely happy such as- rear body posts (I cut them down one hole too far), front bumper mount (the modified one isn't as rigid as I'd like) and possibly look at adjusting the exhaust or modifying the body cut out.

For now though here it is finished


No comments:

Post a Comment