Tuesday 15 March 2011

RS4 Rally Conversion: Build Session 4

First job of the evening was to reassemble the front suspension with the hinge pins and drive shafts in place.
First thing I noticed was that the mounting method for the new shocks was different. Instead of a plastic hole on the end that pushed onto the ball connector, these had a metal bushing in place and would need to be screwed to the shock tower.
Luckily I had enough screws of the correct size to at least get the front end done.
Old and new fixings
After offering up the new longer shocks it was clear that the original shock tower had to be replaced!
Even with the shock compressed as far as it would go it wouldn't fit!

I removed the original shock tower and after looking back at the parts that came in the plastics kit I worked out which was the suitable part. It wasn't too surprising that I didn't instantly recognise it, the new part is about three times the size! Here it is in place-
It was then time to get the front shocks on...
Even with one large and one medium spacer in place there was still too much suspension droop so to get the ideal ride height I had to add another large spacer!
This looks pretty daft but it seems to work well and gives both a good suspension feel with good ride height. I might go against the advice of the post on the HPI forum and put the original longer black springs back in but I'll test drive it before I make that decision.

Finally here is the ride height at the front as it stands now.
 A huge improvement and exactly what I was hoping for from the conversion.

Next up... Modeling of my replacement bumper mount and/or rear suspension tower change. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment