Saturday 16 April 2011

One bash... two broken cars!

Decided to take the RS4 out for the first time since its conversion. Just in case it didn't want to play ball I also brought along "old faithful", my Hyper 12. First up, time to fire up the RS4...

It sparked into life pretty easily which was good because sometimes it can be a bit of a pig. Great! Then within seconds it went out of control and threw itself into a full throttle doughnut! A few seconds later it came back under control and I checked the throttle and steering. Everything seemed fine so I carried on then 30 seconds later it did the same but this time it held the full throttle doughnut for a good 20 seconds or so before thankfully dieing. Best put that one away then.

Disappointed I decided to crack out the Hyper 12... bugger... I left my road wheels at home. Oh well stuff it, I've got a spare set of off road wheels and tyres, lets trash these!

I had a great run with the Hyper 12 for about an hour or so and then the steering became a bit intermittent then died altogether. The reason, a stripped servo gear. First time I've ever done that, not a big problem though, I'll just fit the one that I had intended for the TC3. On the plus side despite an hour of full throttle abuse the tyres were still in good shape.

I decided to try and replicate the radio issues I had with the RS4 with the engine off this time! We found some weird issues with radio reception in that area in the past and I wanted to make sure I had a problem before replacing the radio gear. After 5 minutes of trying it didn't even glitch. So I decided to give it another run to see how it handled.

I was a bit concerned with how the front diff felt before taking it out and it seems that I was right to be concerned. The car tracked fine off the power but on throttle it dived to the left in spectacular fashion.

So in summary I need to:
  1. Fit a new steering servo on the Hyper 12 - no problem
  2. Rebuild the front diff on the RS4 - bugger!
Oh well, should keep me busy while I wait for my TC3's brushless setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment