Monday 17 January 2011

Hyper 12 filter clean

As I need to retune the Hyper 12 after fitting the new carb needle I thought it was a good time to clean the air filter... especially as it has never been done!
As you'd expect the inner layer was much cleaner.
I set up a tray with a small amount of clean fuel which I've been told is the best thing to use to clean filters with.
After a quick wash in the fuel the filters were much cleaner but worryingly, twice the size they were! I just hoped that they would shrink as they dried!
Because I'm impatient I cracked out Jane's hair drier to help things along.
Thankfully as they dried they reduced in size! Phew!

Once they were both dry I applied some filter oil to the inner layer and used my favourite technique for ensuring even coverage of the oil... stick it in a sandwich bag and give it a good squeeze!
Once it was back in place it made the rest of the car look even more dirty than usual!
So I thought I better give it a quick spruce up. Obviously being me it was of the "quick brush out and a squirt of nitro cleaner" variety rather than a full strip down!

While giving it a clean I spotted that the rear wing was broken (but not in an obvious way once clipped back into shape) and the wing support had also cracked.
I'm not even going to bother ordering a replacement as it isn't going to disable the car if it fails completely. I did throw in a bit of super glue to try and extend its life a bit but I'm not sure how effective this will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment