Tuesday 18 January 2011

RS4 - Project Rally!

Ok, so I have been happily tinkering here and there but I think a small project is the order of the day!

From what I can tell in the small amount of time that I've had it the Slash is pretty good as it is but will need an upgrade to brushless and lipo at some point in the future to keep me interested. The Hyper 12? Well I love that car just as it is so the only car screaming out for an overhaul is the RS4 which if I'm honest... I don't really like!

First of all, my inspiration!

HOW COOL IS THAT?!

So as you may have guessed (duh, as if the title didn't give it away) I'm doing a rally conversion on the RS4.

A quick tap on google soon lead me to this page- http://www.hpiracing.com/rcforum2/showthread.php?threadid=62303

Straight from the horses mouth (well, a member of HPI staff on the official website is good enough for me!) a full rally conversion would require the following;

Here is a list of parts needed to convert the RTR 3 or NRS4 3 Type SS to Rally. The conversion requires some minor modifications, but it can be done.

1. Slipper Spur Adapter (72230 from NMT Racer)
2. 47T 2-speed spur on slipper (76817)
3. 19T optional clutch bell (A979)
4. Rally Tires & low bounce inserts 
5. Rally Shocks (A723 Aluminum, or A773 Composite) #1 pistons, 20
wt oil
6. Super Nitro Rally front kick up bumper/ skid plate (A373)
7. Modified SNR front and rear shock towers (A373)
8. SNR rear body mounts (A373)
9. Any 200mm Rally body 
10. Stiffest rally springs (6737)
11. Nitro 3 fixed steering links (85032-7) used as front upper links also (longer
than standard upper links)
12. Type SS engine mounts (if you have the RTR 3)
13. Lexan Spur Guard (from NMT bodies)
Quite an extensive list! That said even they admit that you don't have to do everything.

I'm going to start by doing the following;

Rally Tires & low bounce inserts 
Rally Shocks (A723 Aluminum, or A773 Composite) #1 pistons, 20 wt oil
Super Nitro Rally front kick up bumper/ skid plate (A373)
Modified SNR front and rear shock towers (A373)
SNR rear body mounts (A373)
Any 200mm Rally body 
Stiffest rally springs (6737)



Apparently there will be some minor modification of parts which I'm looking forward to! After that I may consider looking at the gearing. 45+ MPH really isn't needed for a rally car! Neither is 2 speed come to think of it!


Obviously everything will be covered in (minute!) detail on here over the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment